A Practical Guide to Advanced Networking, Third Edition takes a pragmatic, hands-on approach to teaching advanced modern networking concepts from the network administrator’s point of view. Thoroughly updated for the latest networking technologies and applications, the book guides you through designing, configuring, and managing campus networks, connecting networks to the Internet, and using the latest networking technologies. The authors first show how to solve key network design challenges, including data flow, selection of network media, IP allocation, subnetting, and configuration of both VLANs and Layer 3 routed networks. Next, they illuminate advanced routing techniques using RIP/RIPv2, OSPF, IS-IS, EIGRP, and other protocols, and show how to address common requirements such as static routing and route redistribution. You’ll find thorough coverage of configuring IP-based network infrastructure, and using powerful WireShark and NetFlow tools to analyze and troubleshoot traffic. A full chapter on security introduces best practices for preventing DoS attacks, configuring access lists, and protecting routers, switches, VPNs, and wireless networks. This book’s coverage also includes IPv6, Linux-based networking, Juniper routers, BGP Internet routing, and Voice over IP (VoIP). Every topic is introduced in clear, easy-to-understand language; key ideas are reinforced with working examples, and hands-on exercises based on powerful network simulation software.
Key Pedagogical Features
- NET-CHALLENGE SIMULATION SOFTWARE provides hands-on experience with advanced router and switch commands, interface configuration, and protocols–now including RIPv2 and IS-IS
- WIRESHARK NETWORK PROTOCOL ANALYZER TECHNIQUES and EXAMPLES of advanced data traffic analysis throughout
- PROVEN TOOLS FOR MORE EFFECTIVE LEARNING, including chapter outlines and summaries
- WORKING EXAMPLES IN EVERY CHAPTER to reinforce key concepts and promote mastery
- KEY TERMS DEFINITIONS, LISTINGS, and EXTENSIVE GLOSSARY to help you master the language of networking
- QUESTIONS, PROBLEMS, and CRITICAL THINKING QUESTIONS to help you deepen your understanding
CD-ROM includes Net-Challenge Simulation Software and the Wireshark Network Protocol Analyzer Software examples.